The State museum “The Memorial in Commemoration of Famines’ Victims in Ukraine” was founded on April 22, 2009 upon execution of decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine (dated 22.04.2009 №435-d) on the basis of the decree of the Ukrainian Institute of National Memory as the Central Body of Executive power with special status (July 8, 2009 №75).
On February 18, 2010 the Museum “The Memorial in Commemoration of Famines’ Victims in Ukraine” gained the status of National according to the Decree №188 of the President of Ukraine “Of granting to the State Museum “The Memorial in Commemoration of Famines’ Victims in Ukraine” status of national”
According to Decree №98 of the President of Ukraine (dated February 3, 2010) “On Changes in the State Protocol and Ceremonial of Ukraine” visiting of the Memorial in Commemoration of Famines’ Victims in Ukraine was included to the mandatory inclusion into the programs of state visits of Heads of States and official visits of foreign senior officials to Ukraine.
Decree of the President of Ukraine № 1085 (09.12.2010) eliminated the Ukrainian Institute of National Memory as an executive body.
The Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine №133 dated February 14, 2011 referred the Museum to the Ministry of Culture sphere of influence.
Museum’s Statute was approved by the Ministry of Culture on August 31, 2011.
On November 28, 2006 the Law of Ukraine “On Holodomor 1932-1933 in Ukraine” was adopted. That Law officially acknowledged the famine of
1932-1933 being genocide against the Ukrainian people and provided construction of the Memorial in Commemoration of Famines’ Victims in Ukraine.
On November 22, 2008 the grand opening of the Memorial took place.
Anatoly Haidamaka, National Artist of Ukraine is the author of the Memorial’s general idea. Yury Kovalev is the Chief architect of the project; Mykola Obezyuk, Petro Drozdowsky are the sculptors of the Memorial. Quotes that explain the historical origins of the famine were collected by National artist of Ukraine Mykola Syadrysty.
On July 12, 2010 the Memorial was accepted to operation
(Certificate EF 000251 dated 12.07.2010).