This year is the year of the 80th anniversary of Holodomor, the tragedy that has changed the face of Ukraine. Millions of people died and all the rest retained a genetic fear of famine, and pain for lost relatives. Those hardworking peasants starved to death on the fruitful Ukrainian lands.
From November 19 to November 22 the National Museum “Memorial in Commemoration of Famine`s Victims in Ukraine” holds events, dedicated to Holodomor Memorial Day.
14.00 – 16.00. “Unknown Famine”: presentation lecture and film by Taras Hukalo – the first movie that represents the horrors of 1932-1933 Holodomor inUkraine.
14.00 – 17.00. «Holodomor Commemoration Centre»:
- Presentation of 1932-1933 Holodomor Calendar and of Glossary of the Time of 1932-1933 Holodomor;
- Summing-up the results of scientific and creative works competition “Holodomor – Genocide against the Ukrainian People”;
- Presentation of renewed museum exposition;
- First publication of collection of articles by scientists of the Museum “Holodomors in Soviet Ukraine”;
- Presentation of electronic database “The United Register of Holodomor Victims”.
10.00–15.00. “The Bitter Memory of Childhood” and “Pages of Tragedy” – memorial lessons on history of the 1932-1933 Holodomor for school pupils and university students with participation of the Ukrainian diaspora members, scientists, researchers and witnesses of Holodomor.
15.00–16.00. The project “Silent Truth of History”: demonstration of films with sign-language accompaniment.
13.00 – 15.00. Opening of exhibition “The 1932-1933 Holodomor – Genocide against the Ukrainian People”, and presentation of film “Genocide against the Ukrainian People”.
15.00–16.00. “The Bitter Memory of Childhood” – memorial lesson on history of the 1932-1933 Holodomor for school pupils with participation of scientists, researchers and witnesses of Holodomor.
Holodomor Memorial Day
12.00–13.00. Different church confessions participate in requiem for famine victims.
14.00–15.00. “Tragedy of Ukraine. Tragedy of One Village”, presentation of exhibition.
15.00–15.50. Mourning Procession, devoted to famine victims.
15.50–16.05. Start of the worldwide action “Light a Candle”, and igniting the Candle of Memory. A minute of silence, devoted to famine victims.
16.05. «Holodomor – Genocide 32-33. We remember», mourning events:
- Requiem for famine victims with participation of different church confessions,
- Memorial evening “Killed by Famine”,
- Final of the worldwide action “Memory trip”,
- International project on finding out the names of people, who died in the years of Holodomor.
Action “Taste of Famine” will last during the whole Week of remembrance. The Visitors are offered to taste dishes, that helped people to survive in the years of Holodomor and experience the taste of famine.
Commemoration of millions famine victims in Ukraine is a duty for every conscious thinking person. Don`t be insensible to memory of your people, come to memorial signs to famine victims and light your candle!